Facts at a glance
- Manufacturing - seafood
- The client, a North American seafood distributor, found their productivity hindered by aging hardware and architecture, as well as an archaic process for device imaging. They were looking for an IT partner to help them update their hardware, improve their deployment process and implement a new refresh process for when outdated devices reached the end of their usable lifecycle.
- Since the client was very sensitive to price, we partnered with Microsoft to provide imaging and deployment services for 500+ Microsoft Surface® devices with imaging funded by Microsoft. We planned to update the client to a modern deployment process with leasing terms for their Surface devices.
- Imaged and deployed 400+ end-user device bundles across 300 locations in Canada
- Helped the client move from a multivendor environment with outdated devices and operating systems to a comprehensive, Microsoft-based solution for devices, licensing, security and Mobile Device Management (MDM)
- Delivered the best possible price on devices and services to help the client navigate the challenges surrounding COVID-19
- Insight’s Connected Workforce
To accelerate progress toward their goal of becoming the leading seafood distributor in North America, IT decision-makers at one company decided it was time for an IT upgrade. Employees were using outdated devices running old versions of the Windows® operating system, which was slowing productivity. Leadership knew they needed to not only upgrade all these devices, but also come up with a better way to manage refresh cycles.
They put out a Request for Proposals (RFP) and started the search for an IT service provider who could help them refresh their device fleet and make the move to modern deployment practices.
Insight answered the RFP with a compelling proposal that included complete lifecycle services — procurement, warehousing, imaging, deployment and IT Asset Disposition (ITAD). Since cost was a major factor for the client, we workedwith Microsoft to secure funding that would cover imaging services for the project. We also proposed to set them up with favorable leasing terms for new Microsoft® Surface devices to replenish their aging fleet.
The client ultimately chose Insight for the project due to our full-service proposal, close relationship with Microsoft and ability to deliver the devices they needed at a great price.
The timing of the pandemic and the resulting shut-down were particularly impactful for this client. At that time, we’d already agreed to the scope of work of the project and were in the process of scheduling a small number of device deployments to various office locations. However, with the advent of the pandemic, the client had to send its workforce home.
The original RFP had us shipping 5-8 orders to various office locations, all with free shipping. However, with their employees all suddenly working from home, those manageable 5-8 shipments ballooned into 400+ shipments, delivered to each end user’s home.
While we could have adjusted the terms to factor in all the new shipping costs, we knew the client was trying to save money wherever possible. Adding those fees would have put the client in a difficult position, especially with the uncertainty of the pandemic coming into effect. So, we honored the original free shipping arrangement and covered the cost of 400+ device shipments on their behalf.
The fact that we were able to respond in the client’s time of need was something we were proud to do, despite the hit to our bottom line. At the end of the engagement, we imaged and deployed 400+ devices across 300 locations. We were also able to dispose of the client’s outdated devices and provide them with carbon credits for their business.
Today, the client has successfully made the switch to Microsoft Surface devices and has adopted a unified Microsoft platform with Microsoft 365™ and Microsoft Intune® for their device management. They’ve successfully improved efficiencies through the modernization of their outdated devices and processes and by consolidating their multi-vendor environment into a fully Microsoft-based solution for devices, licensing, security and Mobile Device Management (MDM).
By moving to Microsoft Surface devices and a unified Microsoft platform, they’re set up for modern management. Since we implemented modern deployment and device lifecycle services, the client is also benefitting from simplified deployment directly to end users, with minimal impact to their operations team.
The client was very pleased with Insight’s level of service delivery and commitment to exceeding client expectations. Since the completion of this project, they’ve already engaged with us for two additional refresh projects for their tablets and desktop devices.