Facts at a glance
- With outdated devices that didn’t meet the needs of current courses, the college was looking to update approximately 800 devices. They asked Insight to store, support and distribute these devices to students learning remotely.
- Insight and Lenovo worked together to store, service and deploy over 800 devices to specific students based on the courses they were taking. Different courses had different device requirements; therefore, orders were organized in the system for each student before device shipment.
- The college doesn’t have to hold device inventory.
- They can focus on enrolling more students.
- They have the right devices to support students in the right courses.
- Supply Chain Optimization/li>
In December 2020, as students continued their education from home, a Canadian college approached Insight to see if we could store, support and distribute devices to their remote students. The college’s older devices weren’t configured for current courses, particularly those in the art and design program that combined in-classroom theoretical teaching with hands-on, practical training, allowing students to gain real-world experience. Facilitating this experience required devices that could run apps like Maya®, Adobe® Premier, Autodesk®, Unreal Engine® and more.
The COVID-19 pandemic shifted the college’s approach to learning, and with this adjustment, leaders realized that they needed to support their students with newer devices. However, they also realized that different classes necessitated different device features to support particular learning outcomes.
Recognizing that a one-device-fits-all approach wouldn’t suffice, the college approached Insight and Lenovo to help find the right devices to support their students’ work. Lenovo® devices were chosen due to the variety of features they offer, as well as the price point.
Once the correct device was chosen for each class, Insight segmented three groups of students based on their class enrollment. Then, Insight delivered each student the correct laptop based on their coursework. Additionally, Insight minimized the client’s storage, lab and shipping costs by holding everything in our own distribution warehouse to distribute.
With a strategic plan in place, Insight distributed over 800 devices to the Vancouver college’s students ahead of the timeline initially agreed upon. With the right tools in hand, students are tackling their remote coursework with enthusiasm. And, with Insight managing device storge, the college can focus on fostering new educational experiences, rather than worrying about IT inventory, shipping and device management.
With a strategic plan in place, Insight distributed over 800 devices to the Vancouver college’s students ahead of the timeline initially agreed upon.